Literature of Horror, Fantasy & Sci-Fi Spring 2011

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

On the tale that is longer than my cat's (teehee)

Oh how I love a good pun, almost as much as I love curling up during summer with Tolkien, Rufus, or Lewis. There is something about over described landscape and heroic characters that take you away to a better place. You transport to another land, where nothing in reality is true, and everything in a book is real. The classic fantasy is possibly my favorite genre. I can read and re-read any given fantasy for the millionth time and still gasp and cry. I can still feel the emotions of the first time I read Narnia. The fear and joy of Peter, Edmund, Lucy and Susan and their epic adventure.
It is said that Tolkien and Lewis were friends in their time writing. Maybe that is why their books are so similar. Tolkien taking the less religious view. Still, I am glad of their friendship for the stories they tell create hope for me. Fantasy allows for a person to see the good in people. To see that good will defeat evil and that we will be rewarded for it. At the same time it takes us to a magnificent place that is were will a long to be. So thank you Tolkien, Lewis, and others. You give me reason.
That in motion, I have to rant. I am in a Shadowrun game right now, (tabletop) that has a bunch of poser elves that wear synthetic leather and speak not in Sperethiel, but TOLKIN ELVISH! Sperethiel is the native Elvish language in the game. Really? I am going against wannabes. Don't ever learn a language that doesn't exist, and then do it poorly. Telegit thelemsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment