Literature of Horror, Fantasy & Sci-Fi Spring 2011

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

J-Horror would be much better with some J-Rock

I found that while reading A Wild Sheep Chase I feel asleep on the book countless times. I love the japanese culture and most thing surrounding it, but in all honesty, horror is not my favorite genre. I was as lost as the main character in the book. I felt like a nameless sheep on a goose chase. The book left me confused and bored, but then again, maybe I should finish it and see what I think. I got half way through the book and gave up though. No names, no real plot, and no character development.
I was interested in the romance between him and nameless folk, the whole aspect of anonymous sex came to mind. But I felt like he knew her to well, been stalking her too long for it to be appropriate. Plus she is a bit of a slut. So therefore I feel like the glory hole ideal is no longer in play and it is just a romance between two people whose names are a bleeped out.
So, really, I gave it a shot, this book just missed my target. With that said, I much prefer manga based J-horrors such as Death Note. I love L and the idea of the underworld and curses taking over. I enjoy the namelessness of the story here, because by giving your name you are liable to die. It is a mystery that keeps you wondering who is what and what is what. Plus, L is kind of sexy with his candy obsession. Then he dies.... Sad day. The anime was also very pleasing with its J-rock theme songs and colorful take on such a depressing story. Such an amazing story of cat and mouse, death and life. Now, what's your name again?

No comments:

Post a Comment