Literature of Horror, Fantasy & Sci-Fi Spring 2011

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

If this were a virus you would be dead right now.

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
Let me start by saying this has been my absolute favorite book this entire semester. 
Snow Crash was the perfect genre for me because it is in a way, the way I live my life.
I live in the metaverse, I look through the eyes of my computer. I store data via the internet, I am myself a Shadowrunner. This book is a huge Shadowrun champaign, change pizza 'delivery' to 'run', change 'snow crash' for 'beetles', and change 'Y.T." to 'Yue' and you have last weeks game. :D
^Yue is my character... who actually has a new alias... "Y.T." and her team member's new alias "Hiro". 
Yes I got my entire nerd group reading if they hadn't already. 
I loved the speed, I love the interpersonal relations, and I love the hyperemic needle. 
My absolute favorite part though was when Hiro is chasing Raven through the Street and the scrolls are about to fall, and I'm screaming shit he didn't make it in time and there it is, these two Brandies holding out the scrolls and all you see... "If this were a virus, you would be dead right now. Fortunately, its not." I died. I laughed for hours. Then I re-read the book again. :D



1 comment:

  1. I like the image of YT and Raven. But he doesn't look quite enough like an Aleut. He looks Euro. Even if tall, North Alaska are thick to resist cold, long torso, wide face, big smile.

    ReplyDelete